BEASY, a world leader in corrosion modelling provides both corrosion modelling software and modelling services. With today's need to reduce risk and uncertainty, BEASY can quickly provide the answers you need on the effectiveness of corrosion control solutions.
Corrosion Modelling - What can it do?
Computer modelling provides the tools to predict how a cathodic protection system will perform even for the most complex situations. It can provide quantitative information on the protection potentials achieved and the life of the system, thus reducing the risk of systems not meeting the design goals and enabling future management of assets to be planned effectively. Companies can realise huge savings through proactive integrity management that not only reduces risk but also extends the working life of older facilities.
BEASY provides proven software and services to quickly develop full 3D virtual prototypes of Cathodic Protection systems to predict the degree of corrosion control provided by the system. Both sacrificial and ICCP systems can be modelled in applications such as:
Marine & Offshore Engineering
CP modelling for design verification of Oil & Gas structures such as jackets and deep water developments including FPSO's, risers, flow lines, well casings etc. Evaluation of design options (ICCP anodes, sacrificial anodes, sleds, retrofits etc.) and sensitivity studies. Investigation of interference and evaluation of mitigation and control options.
Holistic studies of developments consisting of multiple structures and flow lines to verify protection provided to all of the structures, interaction between the CP systems (frequently designed by multiple vendors) and verify the protection provided over the life of the asset.
Naval & Merchant Vessels
ICCP and Sacrificial CP modelling to optimise corrosion control and predict and optimise corrosion related electric and magnetic signatures for naval vessels. Evaluation of CP design options for ballast tanks and other internal structures.
CP design verification of underground facilities including storage tanks, buried piping, equipment bases, grounding systems, reinforced concrete and other underground structures. Space limitations may restrict installation of anodes in certain areas and shielding effects from buried structures may affect the distribution of protective current. Modelling provides a tool to
ensure adequate protection by evaluating ground bed design options and locations to mitigate the effect of interference and shielding.
Standard survey methods can be difficult to apply and interpret due to the variation in the depth of the piping and interference from nearby structures. Modelling provides a tool to interpret survey data in these complex situations.
Onshore and Offshore Pipelines
CP design verification of flow lines and transmission pipelines. Investigation of options to mitigate interference with nearby structures such as subsea anode sleds, onshore railways and other electrical sources and CP systems. Evaluation of design options for complex situations such as pipeline crossings and river crossings. Interpretation of survey data for more complex situations.
What type of structures and materials can be assessed?
There are no restrictions on the structure geometry that can be modelled, and these can be offshore, subsea or onshore including shallow coastal waters. Materials include steel - coated or uncoated; other metals; reinforced concrete & hybrid structures. BEASY can help determine how the CP system will perform over time so that you can improve the timing and quality of your inspection and maintenance programs. BEASY can also be used to predict the service life of sacrificial anodes and the optimum location of ICCP anodes and reference electrodes.
Typical applications include:
- Validation of CP designs to determine protection potentials provided by the system, anode consumption rates, and service life.
- Optimisation of designs by varying parameters such as anode location, reference electrode location and number of anodes, thus reducing cost of design and installation particularly for retrofits and life extensions.
- Investigations of interference effects caused by nearby CP systems, electrical sources, docks, pipelines or other metallic structures.
- Assessment of different operating environments on the effectiveness of the CP system
- Evaluation of the performance of the CP system under various damage scenarios.
- Evaluation of electrical connections/isolations and attenuations on CP system performance.
- Design and optimisation of surveys to improve quality of information and reduce costs.
- Easy visualisation of protection potentials and identification of problem areas
- Clear visualisation of the design and of the protection provided over the life of the structure, thus providing easily understandable verification to clients and design authorities using pictures rather than words and endless tables of results
- Ability to understand and interpret field survey data.
- Models can also be used to simulate and identify the root causes of anomalies in survey data.
- The BEASY Wizard enables more effective use of corrosion engineers’ time and expertise by enabling tasks to be performed by the most appropriate staff. CAD engineers can use the tools for model building, while the corrosion expert can take up the model, make changes and assess the results using the Wizard Spread sheet style interface.
Request more information on:- Cathodic Protection