BEASY Webinar: Using Polarization Curve Analytics to Model Atmospheric Corrosion Risk for Structures Subject to Varying Environmental Exposure
Join us for free on October 26th @ 9:00 (EDT, USA Time); 14:00 (UK Time); 15:00 (Paris Time).
An agenda for the webinar and key points on what we will discuss include:
- General functionality of the BEASY PolCurveX modeling tool
- Storage and management of experimental polarization curve data
- Deconvolution – what is it and how to perform it
- Self-corrosion calculation for individual materials
- Transforming bulk polarization curve data for thin film electrolyte applications
- Using Curve-Crossing to determine corrosion rates for galvanic couples
- A realistic case study that explores corrosion severity in different environments
BEASY POLCURVEX software is used by design engineers to quickly assess the corrosion risk of material combinations exposed to aqueous environments. Galvanic corrosion is one of the primary, and most costly, corrosion mechanisms observed when different metals and finishes are coupled. The BEASY POLCURVEX provides a more accurate, laboratory validated, method to predict corrosion rates based on the identification of crossing points for material polarization curves as required by the new MIL-STD-889.
Galvanic corrosion is commonly assessed by comparing differences in metal potential (e.g. galvanic series in seawater table) with higher corrosion risk being associated with larger differences in metal potential. However recent research results obtained during development of the revised military standard, MIL-STD-889C suggests that potential differences do not fully account for the corrosion kinetics and can lead to wrong material compatibility decisions. Given the high cost of corrosion maintenance many companies are searching for corrosion modelling tools to support the paradigm shift from “Find & Fix” to “Predict & Prevent/Manage”. The BEASY POLCURVEX software satisfies both designers, focused on metal compatibility and coating performance who are concerned with new designs and retrofits for in-service vehicles, and maintenance engineers concerned with scheduling inspections to look for corrosion.
Typical Applications Include:
- Predict corrosion rates of metals and finishes when they are galvanically coupled and self-corrosion rates of the individual materials
- Deconvolution of polarization curves using a user-friendly, dynamic, graphical interface to understand the underlying corrosion kinetics
- Provision of an Electrochemical Database which can be easily added to for current metals and finishes and those to be developed in the future.
- Managing and predicting thick & thin film polarisation data
- Exporting data to BEASY Corrosion Manager and BEASY CP software
- Design engineers can quickly assess the corrosion risk of different material combinations.
- Create more corrosion resistant designs through improved material selection.
- Supports new requirements in MIL-STD-889C (Standard Practice for design with Dissimilar Metals – Appendix B)
The BEASY POLCURVEX tool supports polarisation data collected under both thin film and “bulk/thick” electrolyte conditions and managed within the database. Key corrosion data can be predicted including:
- Corrosion mass loss Rate
- Corrosion current
Request more information on: BEASY POLCURVEX